If you are snacking between meals make sure it is on something with protein to stabilize your blood sugar. The recipe below makes a very nutritious snack and the nuts and seeds provide your body with healthy fats that reduce inflammation in your body. You can tweak it to your own personal preference. These also make a very welcome gift!
High Protein Power Balls
- 1/2 cup raw organic sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup raw organic pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup raw organic cashews/almonds
- 1 cup raw organic pecans (or just double the almonds/cashews)
- 1.5 cups organic peanut or almond butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or raw honey
- 2 tbsp organic Blackstrap molasses
- 2 tbsp pure cocoa or carob powder (optional)
- 1/4 cup whole hemp and/or flax seeds
- Approx. 1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (for coating)
1. Ideally soak the seeds and nuts for at least 30 minutes (to make them easier to digest) and then drain, but you can skip that step. Blend the sunflower seeds, nuts, hemp and flax seeds in a blender or food processor.
2. Remove the blended ingredients and place into large bowl.
3. Add the peanut or almond butter, syrup or honey and molasses. Adjust to desired moistness by adding additional maple syrup or honey or blended nuts/seeds.
4. Roll the mixture into desired size balls.
5. Grind a small handful of almonds or shredded coconut or use whole hemp seeds and roll the balls to coat.
6. Refrigerate or freeze in a well-sealed, opaque, container. Chew well and enjoy mindfully!